Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

I Struggle


I am an artist, a struggling artist. When someone says they are a ‘struggling artist’, most people automatically imagine this messy dressed person with messy/crazy hair living in this somewhat huge industrial loft with only a mattress for sleeping and an easel for painting, who survive mainly on peanut butter sandwiches, ramen noodles, and coffee. I don’t always dress messy, just when I am working on the land or something that might get me dirty and I do not want to ruin my good clothes. I occasionally have crazy hair, but have learned how to use a curling iron or ponytail holder. I do not live in a wonderful old loft (even though I would like to have one in downtown New Orleans); I live in a cute small cottage with a secret garden. I have furniture that may be old and ratty due to the fact that my dog and cat have destroyed them…but still, I have more than a mattress and an easel. I eat WAY more than just peanut butter sandwiches and coffee, and I hate ramen noodles! So if you are thinking of my struggle in that sense of the term, switch channels and think differently. I am a struggling artist, just not that kind. I struggle with myself, but not in a ‘poor pity me’ kind of way or an ‘I have something profound to say and you must listen’ kind of way either. I struggle with actually making myself accomplish my goals, with actually getting up and creating all of these wonderful things that I see in my head. I am a procrastinator! There, I said it… now maybe it will go away.

I have many goals I want to accomplish this year. One is to blog at least 3 times a week.  I want to become a good Etsy shopkeeper and make lots of sales on that website.  I want to keep my 10x10 rented space in June Bug’s Checkered Cupboard Antique/Gift shop full and thriving and making money! I want to start my own children’s lines with these cool ideas I have. I want to make a killing selling my creations at festivals, art shows, and farmers markets. I want my goodies to be sold in other retail shops locally and eventually nationally… I want my dreams to come true.

Unfortunately, the struggling artist cock blocks all those fantastic dreams. But, I am slowly learning to slap him in the face and push him down out of my way.  So far this year, I have redesigned my logo and blog page and posted one good blog… and here is my second.  I have started creating my tin art more and I actually attended my first farmers market (Mandeville Trailhead Community Market in Mandeville, Louisiana) this past Saturday. I am re-attending that market this coming up Saturday.  Today I plan to go to June Bug’s shop and re-arrange my 'corner' and get busy keeping it cute and stocked full of items to sell. I am painting repurposed furniture that will help fill that 'corner' along with my paintings, garden stakes, wall hangings, sewn goodies, jewelry and more! I have yet to post anything for sell on my Etsy page, but I am going to start taking photos of some items this week….hopefully.

So, now that you kind of get where I am at, you will understand my ramblings a bit better…I think.

Here are some photos of the farmers market my Mom and I attended this past weekend…

Mandeville Trailhead Community Market


Hand cut, hand painted, tin garden stakes
Hand built/painted tin art for outside and my Mom's silk floral wreaths
Glass totem poles for the garden

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/07/2011

    Very good thoughts and really like the looks of all the bright things for the garden. Keep up the good thoughts and the hard work. Victory will be in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be a "struggling artist" but you are an artist my dear friend! You amaze me every single day! And I want one of those Totem Pole thingys, too cool. Homemade gifts (especially cool ones) are great for birthday gifts. Just putting it out there ;)

    ReplyDelete